The Cardinals Hat
Location: High Street, Lincoln
The development proposed on this occasion is the change-of-use of parts of the ground and first floor
of the Cardinal’s Hat and Dernstall House, to change the use of the relevant parts of the premises back
into public house usage.
The Cardinal’s Hat is reputed to be named after Cardinal Wolsey, Bishop of Lincoln around 1514.
The building was originally an Inn and parts of the building are known to date from the late 1400’s, although many elements of the lower section of the principal elevation are thought to have been reconstructed in 1952 when an extensive restoration of the building took place.
In terms of physical alterations to the buildings, the works proposed constitute, in the main, removal
of previously-added insensitive alterations (walls linings and the like) to the original buildings,
and reinstatement/exposure of the historic Listed fabric.